PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

9.10.2013

improvised hunting

Labor Day weekend we made it down to the ranch for opening dove hunting. Temperatures were extremely hot midday and into the afternoon. At the ranch we would much rather be able to be outside than in, because it is so beautiful and peaceful. It was just too hot though.

Thankfully we brought our inflatable pool along. Never leave home without it.
Early dove hunting opened up at noon Sunday. Russ decided the best thing to do was to bring out the shotgun and have me hop out if we saw a dove come in to the field nearby. All I had to do was jump out, cock the gun, take it off safety, all the while getting into position and shooting the dove. Needless to say, the first time I was laughing too hard at the silliness of it to get there in time. Second time around I just missed. Later that day, we did a different set up under a tree nearby. I hunted half the time then just got in the water clothed and Russ switched and hunted wet the rest of the time. The kids loved being near and getting in and out to see the birds. Mae about died from heat stroke because she doesn't do anything throughout the year other than bird hunting. She was however in her little heaven.

The rest of the time we spent searching for jack rabbits, deer, turtles, and any other living things we could find on the golf cart around the land. Also some shooting of the bb guns, playing on the swing set, and watching the goats, horses, and cats around the main houses.
I can't remember if I had posted before or not about Samuel and his bedtime secrets. There was a time there, probably 8 or 9 months, where he would come out after we had put him to bed and say, "I need to tell you a secret. I want to go to the ranch." He would whisper it real intently and then go get in bed. We hadn't been down there since like February or something. It was good to be there.



I'm looking forward to going again when it has cooled off some though and we won't need the inflatable.







No comments: